Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why Sports $ is killng the TV Business?

Tired of $150 cable bills for programming that holds little appeal and generally goes unwatched? Me too. I mean is it me or has HBO gotten progressively worse over the past 3 years or so? Their movie titles are horrid and the originals are laughable. "Real Time with Bill Mahr" and "Real Sports" are the only reasons I subscribe.

And Showtime? Don't get me started, their originals scream "look at me! I'm so weird and cool!" and in reality, they are just loud, obnoxious and so very un-cool, just plain not good. . I tried to watch and really wanted to like something on there.. Californication.. Shameless.. some other garbage.. but it's just all garbage. I gave up all together.   But HBO & Showtime (and Honey Boo-Boo) aside, they have little to do with why your bill is so high.

It's sports baby!


This recent syndicated article in the various alternative weekly papers did as good of job as any explaining how exorbitant sports rights are driving up the cost of even the most basic cable package, even as more and more people are "cutting the chord" and networks and cable systems alike are getting more and more desperate at trying to capture and keep elusive viewers.

The result, a sports win at all cost culture that some say, and I tend to agree, is out of control and a fragmented media environment that is courser, cruder, crasser and more expensive than ever. Something will have to give sooner or later.. and I think it's going to be sooner.

HERE is a link to the excellent article. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment